Saturday, August 10, 2013

Super Second Grade Heroes!

Wow! it was an incredibly busy summer with lots of Common Core Training here in TN and STEM classes at ETSU.  There were lots of opportunities to network and share among colleagues!

Then down side was I felt exhausted mentally and physically by the end of July.   It was official, I had the back to school blues.  I was more than a bit reluctant to take on the task of creating a new "theme" for this year.  As you all know, it's a big investment.  The argument I made (to myself) was that it wasn't curriculum. My monkey and jungle theme were still "okay," if a bit tired.  I had used the same theme for 3 years. But upon further thought (and a nudge from my co-teachers, thank you Kathy & Merri), I decided that a face lift was just what my classroom needed!  I am so glad that I went for it.  The results are engaging.

I took my inspiration from a lunch box. It has always been a personal goal of mine to be Wonder Woman when I grow up!  ;)

Second Grade Super Heros!

A quick google search lead me to some amazing resources.  I downloaded lots of accents, & literacy items from Teacher's Pet (displays site).  These were all free. 

My next stop of course was Pinterest.  Here I found inspiration for a city scape backdrop for Hero Headquarters and a cute super sucker for meet the teacher night. 

A special thank you to my daughter/sidekick. 




I rounded off the theme with a couple of capes and a shield.  The smaller cape is for one lucky student that gets to be the "Hero of the Day".  This student is in charge of leading our Morning Meeting.  I wear the larger cape as a signal to students during small group and partner time that the teacher is busy  and questions should be referred to the parking lot.  




This cute superhero border and a variety of posters  were purchased at a local discount store.

The theme is steadily being incorporating. This was our first week back and my second graders are fully engaged. They love the idea being Super Second Graders.  They are helping me rename many our classroom work stations.  Thus far we have: Wonderful Word Words & Anchor Text Headquarters.  I can't wait to share these stations.



No comments:

Post a Comment